Saturday, December 13, 2008

That Seed of Faith

Everyday as I envision my business, I see it soaring to new heights. I am a big dreamer and often get caught in thinking ahead by dreaming of where I would like to be someday. What do I see? I see myself with a successful career in portrait and wedding photography. I see myself in a wonderful in-home studio where the walls are painted in a delicious soft gray complete with white molding, chocolate brown wood floors, beautiful canvas gallery wraps decorating the walls, and thick wedding albums arranged on a black wooden coffee table. I dream of this scenario everyday, and hope and pray for it to someday become true.

But, then reality kicks in. That's not where I am right now. Yes, I am building my way there and am trying to learn and grow as best I can in the process, but do I know this is where my path will lead? No. Sometimes I tell myself to stop dreaming and face reality. What if this dream of mine is nothing more than a fantasy?

Just when doubt begins to creep into my mind, the Lord sheds his light on me in a direct way. As I try to tell myself not to get too far ahead of myself, I open my daily devotional book just as I do every night before I go to sleep, and read works the speak directly to my heart. Every day of the year is a complete new topic; all placed in random order. Here is what today's book says, which I read just after questioning my dreams:

[[excerpt from: New Day, New You by Joyce Meyer. You can find it here]]

December 13: Don't Despise Small Beginnings

Who [with reason] despises the day of small things? -Zechariah 4:10

Probably most of us who are believing God for something can find evidence of a small beginning: a little seed, a cloud the size of a man's hand (see 1 Kings 18:44). Rejoice over that seed. It is a sign of greater things to come. Don't curse our seed by complaining over it. God gives us seed, something that causes us to hope- a little thing perhaps, but something is better than nothing. We should say, "Lord, this is only a little thing, but thank You for giving me some hope, something to hold on to. Thank You, Lord, for a beginning."
Take that seed and plant it by believing over it. The Holy Spirit showed me that I was throwing away a lot of my seed. When we despise something, we regard it lightly. We take no notice of it and count it as nothing. We do not take care of it. If we don't take care of what God gives us, we lose it. If we lose the seed, we ill never see the harvest. Part of Hebrews 13:5 says, in essence, be content with what you have. The scripture goes on the say, "For He [God] Himself has said, I will not in any way...let [you] down." That is why we can be content -by faith- during the small beginning. We know that the Lord is the Author and the Finisher (see Hebrews 12:2). What He begins, He completes (see Philippians 1:6). He will do that for us- if we hold our faith firm until the end.

After reading this, I couldn't help but smile and thank God. Not only for his blessings and beginnings, but for putting these small things in my path to remind me that with faith, I can move mountains. The timing of my doubtful thoughts and reading this book are not coincidence; everything happens for a reason, lead by my amazing God. Sure, my dreams may be a few years away, but with this seed of my small growing business, I can move to new heights. And do I have the faith to move those mountains? You bet your bottom dollar.

No comments: